Omicron dims optimism as South America enters pandemic’s third year

Over the last week it registered over 50% of South Americas day-to-day cases, with just 11% of its population, and had the worlds seventh-highest number of day-to-day cases.Although cases are increasing in a straight line from a daily average of about 2,400 a month ago to more than 130,000 now, authorities state they are not unduly stressed. The shift to the endemic will no longer require screening all cases and the function of isolation will alter,” the health minister, Carla Vizzotti, told reporters on Tuesday.Health official Sandra Tirado forecasted cases could start to fall in the next 2 weeks and pointed to Córdoba province where Omicron infections were already coming down.A health employee swabs a woman for Covid-19 at a free testing center in Buenos Aires on Monday.” Schrarstzhaupt warned: “Even if theres a 95% reduction in severe cases, if we struck one million cases a day like the US, the remaining 5% will still be an extremely big number.

” Weve been through such unpleasant, difficult months … this is now a moment of hope,” the 42-year-old physician stated last November as carioca life regained some form of normality, hospitals cleared and the citys effervescent cultural scene was reborn.But the new year, and the arrival of the highly contagious Omicron version, has brought Soranz and lots of others crashing back down to Earth as coronavirus cases rise throughout Latin America with repercussions that remain unclear. Over the last week it registered over 50% of South Americas daily cases, with just 11% of its population, and had the worlds seventh-highest number of day-to-day cases.Although cases are rising in a straight line from a day-to-day average of about 2,400 a month earlier to more than 130,000 now, authorities state they are not unduly worried. The transition to the endemic will no longer require testing all cases and the function of isolation will change,” the health minister, Carla Vizzotti, told reporters on Tuesday.Health authorities Sandra Tirado anticipated cases could start to fall in the next 2 weeks and pointed to Córdoba province where Omicron infections were currently coming down.A health worker swabs a lady for Covid-19 at a complimentary screening center in Buenos Aires on Monday.” Schrarstzhaupt alerted: “Even if theres a 95% decrease in serious cases, if we struck one million cases a day like the US, the remaining 5% will still be an extremely big number. It had actually taken Omicron simply 17 days to become Rios dominant variant, accountable for more than 98% of cases.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *