WA COVID case forces Perth into lockdown | 7NEWS.com.au

Perth will go into a five-day hard lockdown after one new local COVID case was detected in the state, outside of hotel quarantine.

The lockdown will begin at 6pm Sunday, January 31 and end at 6pm Friday, February 5, Premier Mark McGowan said.

The lockdown applies to the Perth metropolitan region, the Peel region and the south-west region.

Residents will only be allowed to leave their homes for four essential reasons – work or study, exercise, to shop for essentials and for healthcare.

Masks are also being made mandatory in the state when people leave home for essential reasons.

More from 7NEWS.com.au

Perth COVID case from quarantine hotel

The new case came from a male security guard, aged in his 20s, who works at the Sheraton Four Points quarantine hotel.

The guard was working on the same floor as a person who was in quarantine with the UK variant of COVID.

“The guard completed two 12 hour shifts on 26 and 27 January,” McGowan said.

“Exactly how the infection was acquired remains under investigation.

“He developed symptoms on Thursday 28 January, and phoned in sick and did not go to work at the quarantine facility.”

Authorities are investigating how the breach happened but say he did not enter a hotel room.

Contact tracing is underway and a list of venues have been put on alert.

More from 7NEWS.com.au

The man’s household contacts have been put in quarantine and have so far tested negative.

“However, we can expect that they will become positive in coming days,” McGowan said.

“Based on the information we have, it appears possible that this new positive case has the highly transmissible new UK variant.”

The man was also revealed to be a ride-share driver but hasn’t worked his second job since contracting the virus.

The shock announcement comes after the state went nine and a half months without a local case of the virus.

Meanwhile, on Sunday, Acting Chief Medical Officer Professor Michael Kidd had earlier confirmed Australia has marked 14 days without a case of community transmission.

“It is two weeks since we had a case of COVID-19 in our community,” Kidd said.

“This is the longest period of no cases of community transmission of COVID-19 since February 16th to 29th last year.”

More from 7NEWS.com.au

This content was originally published here.